Relocation Guide – Studying A Master’s in BCN
Barcelona is home to more than 10 international Business Schools where you can study a Master’s degree, some of which are not just the best in Europe, but in the world. If you’re considering studying a Master’s degree in Barcelona, we’ve put together a guide to help with any uncertainties you might have.
Studying A Master’s in BCN
What is the enrollment process for Private Business universities?
Enrollment Process → GMAT for MBA and Business Master’s Degrees in Spain.
The ‘Graduate Management Admission Test’ (GMAT) is a standardised test taken by graduates, in order for them to get onto a Master’s course. There are no special requirements to apply for the GMAT, however, the test is often taken by university graduates with a 4 year degree qualification or higher. The GMAT score is accepted worldwide as a standard measure for business school success and helps admission officers in matching students skills with the right business degree programme.
The GMAT is a 3 hour 30 minute Computer Adaptive Test, made up of four sections:
- Analytical Writing Assessment – measuring your ability to think critically and communicate your ideas.
- Integrated Reasoning – measuring your ability to analyse data and evaluate information presented in multiple formats.
- Quantitative Reasoning – measuring your ability to analyse data and draw conclusions using reasoning skills.
- Verbal Reasoning – measuring your ability to read and understand written material, to evaluate arguments and to correct written material to conform to standard written English.
Regardless of whether the university you’re applying to requires you to complete the GMAT, you will still be asked to present some (if not all) of the following documents:
- GMAT result (if required)
- Certificate proving a B2 level of English
- Graduation certificate
- Letter of recommendation from previous employer/teacher
- Motivation letter explaining why you want to enroll for the particular course at your chosen business school
You may also be invited to an interview at the start of your application process, but this isn’t always the case.
What visa do I need to study in Barcelona?
Visa information for UK students
UK students will no longer be classes as EU citizens starting from the 2021-2022 academic year onwards. This means that you will be considered as an international student and may be subject to different visa requirements and fee rates, unless otherwise stated by the University you apply to.
Visa information for EU students
If you’re an EU student, you won’t need a formal visa to enter Spain (an ID card or passport will be sufficient). However, all EU students (as well as those from Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein and Switzerland), will still have to register with the Central Registry for Foreign Citizens and acquire a Foreign National Identity Number (Número de Identificación de Extranjeros). This will allow you to open a bank account and have access to Spanish health services. For more information on how to apply for a NIE: https://barcelonaexpatlife.com/obtaining-a-nie-in-barcelona/
Visa for Non-EU students
If you’re a non-EU student, you will have to apply for a type-D visa (also known as a ‘long stay’ visa), at the Spanish embassy in your home country. This is a permit to enter and remain in Spain for a period longer than three months. In addition to a completed application form, two to four passport photos and the payment of any associated fees, the following documents are usually required as part of a Spanish student visa application:
- Passport, valid for the duration of your intended stay in Spain
- Proof of University admission and details of your Master’s
- Proof of healthcare over
- Proof that you have the means to support yourself financially whilst living in Spain
What is the price range for a Master’s Degree in Barcelona?
The cost of studying a Master’s/MBA degree in Barcelona depends on the business university you choose to attend, and the course you opt for. Tuition fees at public universities in Spain are typically set by each individual Autonomous Community, meaning they are more or less the same for every public university. On the other hand, private universities set their own fees and these are usually much, much higher than those of public universities. Tuition fees in Spain are also usually charged per credit.
There are many differences between studying at a private business school vs. at a public business school. Public business schools are way cheaper than private business schools, however you don’t get all the benefits the private schools offer. Prices for private business schools range from €10.000 – €38.000. Some private schools offer some scholarships or, in comparison to public schools, the price for a Master’s degree can vary between €2.000 – €4.000.
What is the difference between a Public university vs. a Private university?
The main difference between the two is the cost. Other reasons for choosing a Private university over a Public university in Spain are; the smaller class sizes, a wider choice of subjects and the extra-curricular activities. The main reason for choosing a Spanish Public university, however, is that it will be state-funded and therefore free. In addition, a Private university offers exciting internship opportunities and most importantly, great opportunities to boost your future business career.
Which private business schools are there in Barcelona?
What language do I need to speak to be able to do a Master’s in Barcelona?
Due to the large number of postgraduate courses taught in English, this means you won’t be required to learn Spanish to study a Master’s degree in Spain. However, with a year or two to spend studying in the country, you might want to take advantage of this opportunity and acquire some new language skills. Learning another language is always an excellent way to gain additional value from international study and will enhance your CV when applying for jobs. Even though most courses are taught in English, Universities in Barcelona will offer Spanish language courses to foreign students as well.
I am looking for a part-time job alongside my study, is this possible?
What are the main benefits of studying a Master’s Degree abroad?
- Boosting your CV – Future employers will be highly impressed if they see that you’ve studied a degree abroad
Gaining international experience
- Who wouldn’t want to gain international experience from studying in another country and meeting people from all over the world?
- Becoming independent – Living abroad takes a lot of independence and resilience, both skills which employers look for in their employees
- Discover new cultures – If you want to work in a multinational company, then it’s important to develop your knowledge of people from different cultures from all over the world
How to choose the right master's degree/university?
The student culture in the city is unlike anywhere else, there is always something to see or do (or eat), making it the perfect place to embark on your study abroad journey. With it’s world-renowned universities, amazing weather, stunning scenery and vibrant nightlife, Barcelona is the dream city for any student! If you want to read more on our top tips for studying in Barcelona and FAQ’s on life as a student, check out our Studying in Barcelona page.
Add a comment